fbpx

NOBA Nordic Baltic contemporary art platform

The collection in the Niguliste Museum holds the most remarkable and valuable part of the medieval and early modern ecclesiastical art of Estonia. Most of the works of art in the Niguliste Museum’s collection originate from the church itself and have been displayed in their former locations.

The first works of ecclesiastical art were donated to the Art Museum of Estonia in the 1920s, but the majority ended up in the museum after the Second World War. The Niguliste Museum, opened in 1984, is housed in St. Nicholas’ Church, now restored after the damages incurred during World War II.

The Niguliste collection also contains epitaphs and coats of arms epitaphs mainly from the 16th and 17th centuries. A separate collection is formed by sconces and chandeliers from the 16th to the 18th centuries. The oldest and rarest of these is a four-metre-high brass candelabrum. This seven-armed candelabrum was made in a Lübeck foundry and donated to St. Nicholas’ Church in 1519. Over a hundred gravestones and their fragments are on display in the Niguliste Museum. Most of the gravestones from the 14th to 17th centuries are from St. Nicholas’ Church.

Gallery name: Niguliste muuseum

Address: Niguliste 3, Tallinn

Opening hours: Mon-Sun 10:00 - 18:00

Open: 01.06.2020 - 01.06.2021